A warehouse employee is tasked with developing a total space plan for storing tissue paper in a warehouse. The
employee wants to calculate the total space requirement. He plans to do this by calculating the space taken by each
case of tissue paper and inventory projections. He was able to collect the below information.
• The tissue papers are received into the warehouse in box cars containing 1,500 cases.
• A case measures 20 x 24 x 10 inches
• The product can be stacked in tiers measuring 2-by-2 units, five tiers high on a 48 x 40-inch pallet.
• Each stack is the size of one pallet plus one inch overhang on each of the 4 sides
• There is a stacking height limitation of three pallets.
• Layout plans show that 40% of the building will be used for aisles areas, leaving 60% available for storage
• From this 60% net storage, an additional 20% is lost by honeycombing
Calculate the following:
1. No of cases in each pallet (10 Points)
2. No of cases in each stack (10 Points)
3. Space occuppied by a normal pallet without overhanging in sq ft (10 Points)
4. Gross space occupied by the stack considering overhanging in sq ft (15 Points)
5. Net space occupied by the stack considering overhanging and aisle space in sq ft (20 Points)
6. Net space occupied by the stack considering overhanging, aisle space and honeycomb loss in sq ft (20 Points)
7. Space taken by each case which can help the employee to develop the total space plan in sq ft (15 Points)
• 1 ft = 12 inch
• You may submit the assignment in a spreadsheet or a word document
• The below picture is not related to the question, it is just for you to visualise the situation